bri

Friday, March 25, 2011

DIY: Old Book Paper Flower Hook


A while back I saw in this really unique store, a key holder that had a huge paper flower on top. I loved it, but it was 30 bucks.. I looked at it for a while and thought I could do that myself. So this is how I made my own :)

What you'll need:
scissors
hot glue gun
a metal hanger
an old book
pliers
stapler (I didn't have one, so I used a little push pin thing)
cardboard

Optional Things:
Paint (to paint the metal hanger)
Glitter (to add to the flower so it shines)


Instructions:

Step one:
Cut the hanger so you're left with a piece about 12 inches. Bend the metal with your pliers so that you have a little loop for hanging it on a nail, and a big loop at the other end so you can hang things.

Step two:
Cut a circle out of the cardboard.. Bigger than a dollar coin. Hot glue the metal to the cardoard. (I also used tape just to make sure)



Step 3:
Tear pages out of your old book & cut out different sized flowers. I did 8 flowers.

Step 4:
Line all of the flowers up together, and in the center staple it. If you don't have a stapler, like me, puncture a hole with a pen and use a push-pin that you can flatten on the back.


Step 5:
Start bending, layer by layer, each flower and petal.
Step 6:
Hot glue the flower to the cardboard circle & metal. Again, I used tape just to be sure.

Step 7: (optional)
Paint the metal. I used a sponge & a white paint creme. (from ACmoore)

Step 8: (optional)
I used a glue pen and lightly touched the corners of the petals with it.. Then sprinkled gold glitter over top.



Then you're done! All you need is a nail and something to hang!!

I'm using this particular one for my keys. I'll be making two more: one for the bedroom to hang on the back of the door for scarves or light jackets. And another one for the back of the bathroom door for robes or towels!

Have fun with it!! You really appreciate things more when you take the time to make it!




P.S. I think this would look awesome on a dark brown wall.

xoxo Brianna <3
Let me know if you do it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could do this on my own. I am not artsy! I would pay you to make this for me though!